Sunday, April 24, 2011

Scents

It's amazing how powerful scents are in bringing back memories. I recently bought a bottle of L'Eau d'Issey since I haven't worn it for awhile, missed it, and wanted to smell it again. Upon spraying it, I was brought back to college immediately - memories of getting ready to go to dances and church (I only wore perfume on days I dressed up and back then I dressed up for church.). It still remains on this shirt I've been wearing at home, so throughout today I've been taking sniffs and getting all nostalgic. I've been branching out with other perfumes but I still have not come across a perfume that has the same hold over me as this one. Memories associated with the perfume itself (not the smell) might play a role in this. It was the first "real" perfume I ever owned. It was a gift my mother bought for me after graduating from high school. It made me feel "grown-up." Another perfume I associate with college is Tommy Girl. The only reason it comes to mind is that I spilled a whole sample of it on my sneakers and even after three washes in the machine, the scent remained. Whenever I wore those sneakers (which was often), I would smell that perfume.

I can't believe it's been ten years since college. Ten whole years have gone by and there are some aspects of college that seem just like yesterday and then other aspects that feel so long ago. I do not intend on attending my college reunion since I do not know too many friends going, will have lots of work to do, and am just awkward in situations where I do not know many people.

I do not know where this post is going. I guess I could write about more memories that different scents bring up. Right now I do not have the time to do that. All I can say is that I am thankful for having a strong sense of smell. Without it, I would not be able to enjoy food or be brought back to all sorts of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment