Monday, July 11, 2011

Just Realized

I have to write 11 college recommendations for this fall. Writing a recommendation for a good student who actively participates is generally not a problem. But those students who never say anything, do B level work, and are not involved in school activities - that kind of student is harder to write for.

With the class load I have this fall, I will not have to worry about writing recommendations for the following year. (As of now and I write as of now because with scheduling, schedules can completely change the week before school starts - how, I do not know) I will be teaching five sections of 9th grade world history. I taught 9th grade world history last year but the curriculum was different (mainly ancient to medieval). This time around it's the age of exploration to WWI or WWII. I like the way California structures the curriculum and it makes it more manageable for the students to have considerable exposure to modern world history. With the textbook we have, I have a feeling we will be jumping around a lot.

There are pros and cons to this schedule. ONE PREP (vs. three last year but it often felt like four with AP World)!!! BUT, I will be teaching the same thing five times each day (no more block scheduling this year so no rotating periods). Depending on the students in each class, the dynamics will vary greatly and so I am not too worried about being bored. I am worried about how needy 9th graders can be and about setting the right boundaries so I will not become exhausted in addressing all of their needs. Once again, we'll see. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment